Opened in February 2006, Drum Theatre is a 521 seat state-of-the-art, purpose built performing arts theatre within the heritage facade of the former Dandenong Town Hall, and situated in the heart of the Dandenong CBD.
Drum Theatre engages with artists and the community to host more than 170 performances for over 85,500 patrons each year via a range of professional touring productions, local theatrical performances and community presentations. The theatre develops and promotes the accessibility of the performing arts and continues to consolidate itself as the iconic, cultural heart for Dandenong and a vibrant hub for arts and cultural activity.
As Dandenong grows through a fast paced urban revitalisation program, the developers of Drum Theatre chose to retain the Lonsdale Street facade of the century old Town Hall building (originally opened in 1890) as a feature that adds a distinctive reminder to the past.
As an anchor for city vibrancy and an attractor of audiences that include Dandenong’s diverse communities, Drum Theatre is well situated to build engagement with the performing arts for the City of Greater Dandenong’s citizens and the one million residents in Melbourne’s south east growth corridor.
Drum Theatre’s Vision
Drum Theatre is a vibrant, inclusive and entertaining performing arts venue that is celebrated for its role in arts development and engagement with our community. Drum Theatre is an iconic destination that:
- is a high quality performing arts venue
- is a leader in arts development and practise
- is an integral part of central Dandenong
- supports a diverse range of programs that are accessible and that entertain, enrich and engage audiences
- attracts a wide and diverse range of community patrons, participants and programmers
- is a place for business and community to interact and meet
- fosters partnerships and networks
- operates in a financially and environmentally sustainable and responsible manner
- showcases the heritage significance of the former Dandenong Town Hall.
Drum Theatre’s Strategic Plan
Drum Theatre has established itself as the premier performing arts venue in the South East region. Dandenong’s Drum Theatre has a reputation for engaging equally with artists and the local community and is a vibrant hub for promoting arts and culture.
Council appointed an Advisory Committee to set a strategic direction for Drum Theatre. In 2016, the committee embarked on a new and exciting direction for Drum Theatre which balances economic sustainability with the needs of theatre goers and the community. The new direction in programming and operations is intended to:
- build new income streams
- grow the audience
- be attractive to corporate and other partners
- provide a diverse program of activities and events as well as theatre.